1/13/2009

Welcome

My name is Chris Roper and I'm an amateur iPhone developer. As of this writing, I have four applications on the App Store with my next one set to go up tomorrow (if it's approved by Apple in time) and a sixth nearly done. They aren't complicated applications by any means, but they're fun projects, good learning experiences and help to bring in a little extra cash.

Learning to program for the iPhone hasn't been easy - I majored in computer science for three years at Virginia Tech, but that was more than a decade ago. I never got into Mac programming, so my experience with Objective-C was basically nil. So while I have the fundamental knowledge for how things work, I had to start from scratch with learning most of the syntax, the development environment, single-window UI techniques and more.

My hopes are that by sharing bits of code that I've picked up, I'll be able to help others at a similar starting point get up to speed a little quicker. Please post in the comments and offer up different (or better) ways to handle things, alternative methods that could be useful in other situations and whatever else you can or want to post.

Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris.
    That Sexytime app is lots of fun. Don't know if you take user suggestions, but I see you've had a few updates. FWIW, here are my two suggestions:

    1. Add a password protection scheme. I've added a few racy customized phrases, and whenever someone is checking out my iPhone, they inevitably start your app with the curiously interesting name. Needless to say, they learn a little bit more about my wife and I than they anticipated! LOL.

    2. Sometimes we just want to have the customized phrases playable. Currently, there is a preference selection for turn-based and random phrases. How about adding a preference selection to "turn off" the default phrases and select between random and turn-based customized phrases only?

    I didn't see any link to contact you directly on your blog, so I hope you get this post and reply with the feasability of incorporating my suggestions. my email is scott3647 at yah00 dot kom. Thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Chris,
    i am adhavan from india... i have started developing iphone apps and games.... i am eager to stay as a friend to share ideas about the same... if so.. pls mail to adhavan.j@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete